Adventures beyond time

Adventures beyond time

Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Lodging for Every Night

I have now communicated with a huge number of hoteliers in France! It seems a bit to violate the pilgrim ethic of letting the Camino decide, but I can live with that. At last I have a booking for each night and I am very happy not to have to worry about it while on the trail. You can go to the tourist offices in the few bigger towns along the way and get them to call for you, but I will be happy to sit in a cafe and drink cafe au lait instead of doing that.

We have a great mix of guest houses, hostels, and a few hotels...even an abbey and a chateau, both of which are  UNESCO World Heritage sites. The trail looks challenging and we have planned shorter walks than in the past, averaging 9 miles a day, with the longest being 15. Our packs are lighter than last year too, which required amazing discipline on our parts. Now the trick is to avoid throwing things in at the end. Funny how that extra shirt I took out last week now calls to me from the drawer. It really wants to come with me.


No comments: